Updated November 7, 2014 8:59 pm - When you think of extremely powerful PCs for gaming – people usually think of really big desktop towers (yup, I have one…). However, to fight that “stereotype” of gaming PCs, Dell has unveiled the Alienware X51. The Alienware X51 is pretty much one of the smallest gaming desktop PCs to hit the market. From front to back, it measures 12.52”. From top to bottom (from the front), it is just 13.5” tall. And it is 3.74” wide! The idea behind the Alienware X51 was to give gamers the opportunity to do all the awesome gaming but accommodate for flexibility to be used in almost any living space with such a small chassis.
While small in size, the Alienware X51 comes packing quite a punch for such a small desktop PC. It features Intel’s second-generation Core processors (either a Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7) with Intel’s H61 Express Chipset. For awesome high definition gaming and video – the Alienware X51 comes standard with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 discrete GPU with 1GB GDDR5 onboard memory. However, you can also get an optional NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 discrete GPU also with 1GB GDDR5 if you want more graphics power. These GPUs also allow for the Alienware X51 to support 3D – which includes 3D gaming and 3D Blu-ray video. With HDMI 1.4, you can connect this PC to a HDTV and if the HDTV supports 3D – do 3D awesomeness.
Here are the full specs for the Alienware X51:
- Intel Core i3 Dual Core (standard) and Intel Core i5 and i7 Quad Core Processor Options
- Intel H61 Express Chipset Architecture
- Mini-ITX Motherboard
- Powerful NVIDIA Graphics Card Options: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 (Standard) *OR* 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 (Optional)
- Configure with up to 8GB of DDR3 Memory (4GB Standard); 2x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots
- Fast 7,200RPM 1TB Hard Drive
- Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (Standard) or optional Blu-ray Disc Reader
- Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software
- Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN (standard)
- USB 2.0 (6x); USB 3.0 (2x); Microphone In; Headphone/Speaker Out; HDMI 1.4 Output; RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet; Front, Rear and Center Speaker Ports; SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK); SPDIF Digital Output (Coax)
- Alienware 240 Watt Power Supply (Standard) or optional 330 Watt Power Supply
One of the other things that stood out for me with regard to the Alienware X51 is that with the design of the chassis, Dell made sure to accommodate for “future upgrades”. With the Alienware X51, you’ll be able to perform your own hard-drive, graphics, and memory upgrades quickly and easily.
I also suggest reading this most excellent blog post from John Blain and Frank Azor who is a Product Lead at Alienware on the Direct2Dell blog.
I’ll be blogging more about this PC in a few weeks as I’ve got one coming to me!