Updated November 8, 2014 12:09 am - It’s been almost two weeks since we made the Windows Phone Developer Tools available at MIX10, and hopefully you’ve all been off coding up some great apps and games!
There’s a lot of “surface area” to this platform, so I thought I’d make sure everyone knew where the developer documentation for Windows Phone 7 Series was, and give you highlights of what’s available. Keep in mind that the Windows Phone developer documentation was written for the CTP and that it will be expanded as we get closer to final release of the Windows Phone Developer Tools. We’ll also be doing much more to “bring it together” so that blog posts like this are not as necessary :-).
Your first stop should be MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network for those of you new to the MS world), where we have the bulk of Windows Phone development documentation. There’s all sorts of great stuff here, including:
- Code Samples for Windows Phone
- An Application Platform Overview for Windows Phone that covers how all the pieces fit together
- A Getting Started Guide for Developing for Windows Phone that includes everything you need to create your first Silverlight or XNA Framework application
- A Programming Guide for Windows Phone with overviews of features and how to guides with code snippets
- The Class Library Reference for Windows Phone
Other important documentation links include Developing Windows Phone Games and Silverlight for Windows Phone as a part of the XNA Game Studio 4.0 and Silverlight 4 RC documentation sets, respectively.
Lastly, if you have feedback about our documentation, join the discussion in the Windows Phone forums or use the ratings control in the upper right-hand side of the pages on MSDN.
I’m getting a huge kick out of seeing all the apps & games that are being developed. It’s pretty cool to think about how this is just the tip of the iceberg!