Back in September, we released the CTP of Visual Basic for the Windows Phone Developer Tools. Today we’re pleased to announce the immediate availability of the RTW version of the Visual Basic add-on. You can immediately download VB support for the Windows Phone developer tools.
The big news is that you can now build and release Silverlight applications and games for Windows Phone built in Visual Basic to the Windows Phone Marketplace.
In addition, we’ve spent time beefing up our VB for WP sample code. Check out new VB versions of our released samples on MSDN.
We’re extremely excited to officially add support for Visual Basic to Windows Phone, and we can’t wait to see all of the new apps and games you’ll create with it.
For more information about this release, check out the following resources:
- The Visual Basic team’s blog
- Soma’s announcement of the release on his blog
- Jason Zander’s blog post on the release
Please note the following:
- This initial release of the Visual Basic add-on for the Windows Phone Developer Tools requires Visual Studio 2010 Professional or higher; Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone is not supported. If you do not have VS 2010 Pro or higher, you can download a trial version here.
- This release is only for Silverlight projects only; the Visual Basic add on for the Windows Phone Developer Tools does not support projects built on the XNA Framework.
Larry Lieberman, Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer Experience