We are pleased to announce that the next version of the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit—version 6.5—is now available for beta download.
The journey to the cloud is now smoother than ever with the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit 6.5 Beta. The MAP Toolkit’s new capabilities help users to securely assess heterogeneous IT environments while enabling the evaluation of workloads for migration to Microsoft’s private and public cloud platforms. Consolidate existing server workloads using the updated Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track capacity planning feature. The revamped Azure Migration feature in MAP 6.5 provides more in-depth analysis of the suitability of migrating on-premises applications to the Windows Azure platform. Other significant new features in MAP 6.5 include the discovery of active Windows devices, Software Usage Tracking for Forefront Endpoint Protection (FEP), and the discovery of Oracle instances on Itanium-based servers with HP-UX to assist in the planning of migration to SQL Server.
Key features and benefits of MAP 6.5 help you:
- Accelerate planning for the private cloud with Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track Onboarding – Planning your private cloud just got easier. Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track Onboarding, an updated assessment available with MAP 6.5 Beta, provides consolidation guidance and validated configurations with preconfigured Hyper-V Fast Track Infrastructures including computing power, network, and storage architectures. Get a quick analysis of server consolidation on Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track Infrastructures to help accelerate your planning of P2V migration to Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track. Each assessment also provides guidance on next steps using Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track.
- Assess your usage of Microsoft software with the Software Usage Tracking feature- The Software Usage Tracking feature in MAP 6.5 includes enhancements in terms of product coverage and the ability to track devices. The Forefront Endpoint Protection (FEP) scenario measures server and client usage for the FEP product, a recent addition to the Microsoft Core Client Access License (CAL) Suite. Active Devices is a new inventory scenario that allows organizations to report Windows devices that are active on the network. This information is useful in Enterprise Agreement scenarios as well as for maintaining Active Directory information for the environment.
- Discover Oracle instances on Itanium-based servers for migration to SQL Server – MAP 6.5 Beta adds to the heterogeneous database inventory and reporting capability with Oracle compete and the discovery of Oracle instances on Itanium-based servers with HP-UX to assist in the planning of migration to SQL Server. Reporting also provides an estimate of the complexity of migration and suggests candidates for migration to SQL Server. Use this information to determine total cost of ownership for maintaining Oracle and the potential return on investment (ROI) from switching to SQL Server.
- Analyze your portfolio of applications for a move to the Windows Azure platform.
- Identify migration opportunities with enhanced heterogeneous server environment inventory.
MAP works with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and Security Compliance Manager to help you plan, securely deploy, and manage new Microsoft technologies—easier, faster, and at less cost. Learn more.
- Join the MAP 6.5 Beta Review Program and tell the MAP team what you think!
- Learn more about the MAP Toolkit.
- Send your questions or comments to the MAP Team.
To learn more about MAP and all the other Solutions Accelerator tools visit the Pilot and Deploy Zone on Springboard.