Today on the Volume License Service Center (VLSC) we released the media for:
- Windows 8.1 with Windows 8.1 Update integrated
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with Windows Server 2012 R2 Update integrated
- Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry with Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Update
This is the final part of the release cycle that included the release via MSDN on the 2nd and Windows Update on the 8th. The VLSC and MSDN updated media does not contain the complete set of fixes that are offered from Windows Update. Therefore, Windows Update and WSUS will offer the Update again to devices that are deployed by using this media. This is expected and does not result in the full reinstallation of the Update but only a small component of it. The rest of the update will not be downloaded or reinstalled.
Separately we have discovered an issue with the VSLC and MSDN media that will impact a very small number of our customers using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) with very specific settings to keep their devices updated. If affected, the devices will not receive future updates released by Microsoft. This issue will only impact customers utilizing WSUS configured in the following very specific, non-default way:
- WSUS 3.2 running on the following affected platforms: Windows Server 2003 SP2, or Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, or Windows Server 2008 SP2, or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
- HTTPS and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) are enabled on the WSUS server
- TLS 1.2 is not enabled on the server
- The device running Windows 8.1 Update or Windows Server 2012 R2 Update or Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Update, installed using media from MSDN or VLSC attempts to scan against the WSUS server.
If you have this configuration then we recommend that you read KB2959977 for remediation guidance.