WINDOWS LIVE PHOTO CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to submit a photo essay comprised of "before and after" photographs that map to the contest theme of "summer fun" as well as a short paragraph that showcases how Windows improves your photo editing experience. Microsoft has just released the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack that allows you to edit RAW photos in WL Photo Gallery. As part of celebrating the launch, we'll be giving 10 extra points for contest entries that use a RAW original and edit it in photo gallery using the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack. Click here to read a blog/ watch video to learn about the Microsoft Camera Codec pack.
For purposes of this Contest, each email you create and submit that includes the items below will be called an "entry." All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Windows Live photo contest promotion will operate ("Contest"). In these rules, "we," "our," and "us" refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. "You" refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on July 26, 2011, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on August 8, 2011 ("Entry Period").
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
- You are a legal resident of the 50 United States and District of Columbia, and are 18 years of age or older.
- If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent's or legal guardian's permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest; and
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
To enter, you must do all of the following:
- 1. Download the photo editing software tools: Windows Live PhotoGallery and the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for free by visiting URL.
- 2. Using a digital picture that fits into the competition theme "Feathers, Fins and Fur", edit your image using Photo Gallery. While it's not a requirement, you will get ten (10) additional points added to your overall score for editing a photo shot in a RAW format.
- 3. Compose an email to WLcontest@hotmail.com as follows:
- a. Subject Line: WL Before & After Photo Contest
- b. Body of email:
- i. A short caption paragraph (no more than 50 words) describing how Windows improves your photo editing experience.
- ii. Your first/last name
- c. Attachments:
- i. Your original and edited photos in the photo essay format below (not more than 5 MB in .jpg format)
- i. Edited photograph (no more than 5 MB in .jpg format)
- ii. Original RAW photograph (if you used a RAW) no more than 5 MB in one of the following applicable fomats: .arw, .crw, .cr2, .erf, .mef, .mrw, .nef, .nrw, .orf, .pef, .raw, .rw2, .rwl .sr2)
We will only accept 3 entries per person. Additional entries in excess of 3 by the same Entrant will be disqualified.
Contest submissions must include the following specifications and information to be eligible:
- Your photograph must fit within the contest theme of "summer fun" and
- Your photograph must be your own original work - you must have taken the photograph yourself; and
- Your photograph cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- Your photograph must not violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, copyrights logos, names or images, or feature any recognizable person; and
Photographs must NOT contain, content that:
- Is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- contains trademarks, logos, or trade dress (such as distinctive packaging or building exteriors/interiors) owned by others;
- contains copyrighted materials owned by others (including photographs, sculptures, paintings, and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media);
- contains any recognizable figure, living or dead;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law
Photographs may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that does not comply with these Official Rules. We reserve the right to reject any Entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
Other that what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- permit Microsoft and its legal representatives, licensees, and assigns ("Microsoft") to use your entry in: (i) various Microsoft products including but not limited to all product editions and versions, SKUs, updates, associated products and services, service packs, upgrades, subsequent releases, whether similarly branded or not, and localizations in all foreign languages of the products, all Microsoft Web sites and/or hardware or software products, including all editions, successors, future versions and upgrades thereto, (collectively, the "Products") and any marketing and advertising materials for the Products, on a worldwide basis and for the life of the Products; (ii) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (iii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed). Microsoft and its end users may edit, crop, manipulate, blend, morph, cut-out, and collage the Medias(s) as necessary or desirable as MS or its end user selects, without my prior review or approval.
- are granting Microsoft an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license, with rights to assign and sublicense to use your entry for the uses described above. You also warrant that: (i) Microsoft's use of your entry will not infringe any copyright or other legal rights of any third party, (ii) no additional permissions or approvals from any third parties will be necessary for Microsoft's use of your entry, and you agree to indemnify Microsoft against any claim to the contrary. You expressly consent to the uses described above with respect to any moral rights you may have or claim in your entry.
- understand and acknowledge that the Promotion Parties may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that Microsoft cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that Microsoft will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives' unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
On or around the close of the Entry Period, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select winners of the Contest Prizes described below based upon judging criteria described below.
- 45.00% - Adherence to contest theme/rules
- 25.00% - Compelling application of Windows photo editing
- 25.00% - Compelling composition
- 5.00 % - Original photo shot in RAW
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding.
Ten (10) Grand Prizes. Each winner will receive a Nikon/D5000 DSLR camera bundle that includes 1 lens and a carrying case, and have their image featured in a future Windows Theme Pack. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $1000.00.
The ARV of electronic prizes is subject to price fluctuations in the consumer marketplace based on, among other things, any gap in time between the date the ARV is estimated for purposes of these Official Rules and the date the prize is awarded or redeemed. We will determine the value of the prize to be the fair market value at the time of prize award.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $10,000
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer's warranty and / or terms and conditions.
We will only award one (1) prize per person.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft's decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the names of winners who received a prize worth $25.00 or more online at URL. This list will remain posted one month after July 14, 2011.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052