Select a language to translate this page!
Powered by Microsoft® Translator
We’re giving out $25 app cards all week long—perfect for stocking up on Xbox LIVE games and other apps you’ve had your eye on.
To score one, start following @windowsphone (if you’re not already) on Twitter and look for our message about must-have Windows Phone apps. Then retweet it with your own must-have app for a chance to win. The tweet must also include the hashtag #windowsphone.
You’ll find the complete list of rules and legal stuff below. The giveaway is U.S. only and ends Friday—so get tweeting!
MICROSOFT WINDOWS PHONE SWEEPSTAKES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Windows Phone sweepstakes promotion will operate. This promotion will be simply referred to as the “Sweepstakes” throughout the rest of these rules.
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of the Sweepstakes. “You” refers to an eligible Sweepstakes entrant.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Sweepstakes starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on December 12, 2011, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on December 16, 2011 (“Entry Period”). The Entry Period consists of 5 Weekday (Monday – Friday) Prize Periods, which each begin at 12:01 a.m PT and end at 11:59 p.m. PT.
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Sweepstakes if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
· You are a legal resident of the 50 United States and District of Columbia, and are 18 years of age or older.
o If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Sweepstakes; and
· You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
· You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Sweepstakes; and
· You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Sweepstakes.
This Sweepstakes is void outside of the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
HOW DO I ENTER
Step 1: Sign into your Twitter account and if you are not already, become a follower of @windowsphone at http://twitter.com/windowsphone
Step 2: Tweet a message to @windowsphone with your must-have Windows Phone app and include the hashtag #windowsphone
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
· Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
· Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER SELECTION AND PRIZES
On or around the close of each Weekday Prize Period, we will randomly select winners from among all eligible entries received to win the prize described below.
Daily Prize Period
Number of daily Prizewinners
Approximate Retail Value
December 12-16, 2011
A $25 App gift card to the Windows Phone Marketplace
Limit one Daily Prize per person per week during the Entry Period.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following the random drawing. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate, randomly selected winner. Only three (3) alternate drawings will be held after which the applicable prize will remain un-awarded
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Sweepstakes . If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate, randomly selected winner.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Sweepstakes:
WHAT ARE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING?
Your odds of winning this Sweepstakes depend on the number of eligible entries we receive.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS ARE YOU AGREEING TO BY ENTERING THIS SWEEPSTAKES?
By entering this Sweepstakes you agree:
· To abide by these Official Rules; and
· To release and hold harmless Microsoft,and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Sweepstakes or any prize won; and
· That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Sweepstakes; and
· That by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Sweepstakes, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Sweepstakes will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Sweepstakes.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE SWEEPSTAKES CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If cheating, a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Sweepstakes, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Sweepstakes. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Sweepstakes, we reserve the right to randomly select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Sweepstakes.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Sweepstakes by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Sweepstakes, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT WHO WON?
If you send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the address by December 31, 2011, we will provide you with a list of winners that received a prize.
Attn. Windows Phone Twitter App Card Contest 500 Washington Street Suite 200 San Francisco, CA 94111
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS SWEEPSTAKES?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
Anyone know of a cheap 1 Bedroom unit in some deserted part of a dying town I can buy really cheap...so I can quote a US residential address ;)
this really sucks that it's not open worldwide :(
hey i live in the U.S.V.I DOSE THIS APPLY TO ME OR NOT
Non USA countries need more love!
I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen a blog post yet on the new SMS vulnerability that has shown up. Apparently a certain type of message sent via SMS or via FB chat or Windows Live Messenger will force WP7 devices to reboot and then completely disable messaging on the phone. Evidently, your only option at that point is to hard-reset the device. I suspect this patch will require fast-tracking by Microsoft. In fact, I would argue that this needs to be an OTA update.
Reveal slowly one by one on the heavily rumored WP Tango.. Please... Something like your big brother Windows 8..
Why buy a Windows Phone? Any app or game will be available on IOS soon, like Halo Waypoint, My Xbox Live, OneNote on iPad, now Kinectimals. The others company did not reserve certain preferential treatment to WP7.
If it were an app to access a service I would agree but bring games on other platforms does Windows Phone just go down another step by the long ladder to reach iOS or Android.
I do not feel more than recommend a Windows Phone.
I just heard about Kinectimals now being available on iOS. Very interesting indeed....
Speaking of our "exclusives", like the new official Skydrive app that's to be released today being ported to other platforms,,, here's my take on the whole situation.
1. Windows phone has features that are exclusive to the platform
2. This gives WP it's exclusive appeal and selling point
3. Some of those services of WP's features, like Skydrive, are being used by adopters of iOS, Android, and BB.
4. Those "other" platform users could be convinced to switch to WP where all of the PC/Xbox utilities are native.
5. Besides MS official apps, there are plenty of third party apps that are available on A,A&BB that can fulfill the needs of the current users.
This is where I think MS see's an opportunity!
6. By porting over it's official Skydrive, Xbox, and Onenote apps, MS is giving "other" users a chance to use the official apps with all the benefits like security, smoothness, and reliability.
7. The apps that are being ported to other platforms are full of features, maybe more than the third party apps, but the users will understand that WP has even more features built in natively without even using a app, hence making WP a more interesting choice and possibly more of a necessity in the future.
8. Also, The apps being ported to other platforms are being developed with a very similar Metro design language and function, thus preparing users for the WP experience, and making WP less "foreign" in terms of function and aesthetics when at retail.
9. The users most likely will like the Metro design language and function. They will be tempted to try WP when they see that this language and function carries throughout the entire device. They simply will feel if they don't have WP then they don't have the real deal.
I think that it may take a few generations for this to catch on, but the payoff is worth the sacrifice. In reality, the sacrifice, because of the third party apps that are already available, isn't very much... Yes! Well played MS!
It's simple. Business skills, marketing and Psychology all being properly fulled by looking at the big picture and thinking about the long term works every time.
@Rodney E. Jones: VERY well written post - exactly my thoughts. And I don't really see how one would complain about "exclusive" apps being ported to other platforms in first place. :)
Oh and.. nice contest!