Developing a great app and publishing it is a big accomplishment, no doubt. But it’s not enough to just get your app into the Windows Phone Store and call it a day. If you want users to be aware of your app, you’ll need to promote it to get their attention.
Here are a couple recommendations for promoting your app once it’s live in the Store.
Reaching out to friends, family, and colleagues via social channels can be an effective way to drive awareness, helping increase downloads for your app. As you post on your own social channels, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Keep tweets and Facebook posts short
- Tweet more often than posting to Facebook. Too many Facebook posts in too short of a time can be regarded by Facebook as spam, and may lessen your ability to reach people.
- Don’t be afraid to ask people to “Retweet” a tweet.
- Be sure to include your app’s deeplink in whatever social posts you make.
- Remember to reach out via locally-popular social channels, such as China’s Sina Weibo.
Use Windows Phone Download Badges to Promote Apps
Users of your website should easily be able to see that your app is available for download from the Windows Phone Store. Update your web site, marketing materials, and advertising with the Windows Phone Store download badge, which was refreshed with added formats, sizes, and color options to give more flexibility in incorporating the badge in your marketing materials.
Tips for how to get your app promoted in the Windows Phone Store
The Windows Phone Store merchandising team selects apps to be promoted every day in the Windows Phone Stores around the world. When choosing apps for promotion, the team assesses apps for overall quality in three areas: Functionality, Utility and Enjoyment.
Check out our recent blog post that outlines the specifics for each of these areas.
We love to hear what’s working for you, don’t forget to tweet @wpdev with your own suggestions for how to promote your apps.
Updated November 7, 2014 11:36 pm