GLOBAL – So you’ve got the gold rings, the gold taps on your bath, the gold rims on your Bentley. But what next? Well there’s a gold lamé suit, there’s a gold watch and if you need them, how about some gold-rimmed glasses? Gold is a wonderful, if precious thing, and it’s been glittering its way into people’s lives for centuries. What’s the fascination? Well I’m not really sure, but it is quite pretty to look at. Regular readers will know we touch on gold occasionally, so today we thought we’d round up some interesting gold nuggets for you to enjoy. Read more after the jump.
- The San Francisco 49ers are named after the 1849 Gold Rush miners.
- Gold is so rare that the world pours more steel in an hour than it has poured gold since the beginning of recorded history.
- Gold has been discovered on every continent on earth.
- Gold is so pliable that it can be made into sewing thread. An ounce of gold can be stretched over 50 miles.
- One cubic foot of gold weighs half a ton. The world’s largest gold bar weighs 200 kg (440 lb).
Oh, and, there’s a new gold Nokia out today. It’s the Nokia N97 mini gold. Check out the pic below.