In a 2008 poll from the British newspaper The Guardian, 61 percent of respondents found the moustache to be gentlemanly and sophisticated.
The other 39 percent believed it was worn only by fools and fiends. Happily, we fall firmly into the facial hair fan category, which is one reason we’re joining the Movember movement. The other is because it’s such a fun way of helping a fantastic cause.
What is Movember?
In case you don’t know, Movember is an annual, month-long event, in which men around the world grow moustaches to raise awareness of prostate cancer and other male cancer and associated charities. Its goal is to “change the face of men’s health.” This year, we’re challenging ALL Nokia employees to join the Movember movement (And yes, that means women, too.)
How we intend to go Mo
We’re going full on facial this month in a ton of ways. You’ll find the hub for our activities at www.monetwork.co/nokia. Here you can check out our national teams of Mo Bros and see how they’re progressing, but more importantly, you can also get involved.
The #MoWithLove app
You may remember the #2InstaWithLove app and page we launched a while back to showcase people’s best photos and tell Instagram how much we wanted them to join the Windows Phone community. Happily that effort paid off and Instagram will be coming to your Nokia Lumia in the next few weeks. Now, we’re doing the same with Movember with our #MoWithLove app and online gallery. The premise is simple: Take a snap of your rapidly growing stache, share it with your social network and see it featured on the #MoWithLove gallery on www.mowithlove.com. To get started, download the app from the Windows Phone Store.
What else do I need to know to grow?
Here’s some top tips you’ll find on our monetwork to kickstart your stachetastic effort.
The Pre-season warm-up
- Sign up: Let’s start at the very beginning: make it official by registering at Movember.com
- Don’t Mo Alone: Mo’ing is no lonely business, so don’t grow alone. Get your friends and family involved by joining or creating a Movember Team
- Use Your Mo Space: Your Mo Space is a personal page to track your progress and raise funds. Check out all the tools and resources on offer in advance
- Get Ready: On 1st Movember, the razors come out as every Mo Bro must begin the month clean shaven
- Grow a Mo for a month: For 30 days, cultivate a moustache according to the Rules: no beards, no goatees
- Raise awareness: Use your moustache to raise awareness for men’s health and start a conversation
- Raise funds: Use your moustache to raise funds for Movember’s game-changing male cancer research
- Celebrate your mo: Look back at your efforts with pride and celebrate with fellow Mo Bros and Sistas at one of Movember’s legendary Gala Partés
If you need any more encouragement to get involved, you’ll be happy to hear we’re also offering a range of cool prizes for things like Best Moustache, Best Team and most money raised, etc. Movember and #MoWithLove app will also be the subject of our very first video blog launching this Friday. So be sure to check it out if you have any questions. Alternatively, drop them in the comments and we’ll do our Mo Bro best to answer them.
Image credit: A*kaiser