Surface is designed for those who want to get more done, and since the inception of the Surface product line, we have always planned to have our devices truly ‘connected’ so you can do more in more places. Surface has become a powerful tool in the lives of this incredibly diverse group of people. There are students, parents, artists, architects, photographers, writers, and business people of all stripes who have come to love Surface because it is the tablet that lets them do more, and I love hearing the creative ways you’re using Surface.
As a team, we set out to build the most productive tablets on the planet. At every step in the process of envisioning, designing, and building Surface, we are making decisions about the product. We stay very focused on ensuring that Surface is a product that helps people get done what they need to do, while maintaining the premium fit and finish of a product they’ll love to use daily. We are also passionate about your feedback in order to make our different Surface offerings even more productive. Many of you have told me that you’d like the capability to be online, even when Wi-Fi isn’t available, so you can work, play, share, and communicate wherever you are — In simple terms, we are CONTINUOUSLY being asked for a Surface that allows you to use mobile broadband.
Today we’re announcing Surface 2 (AT&T 4G LTE), a 64GB mobile broadband-ready version of Surface 2 that will be available to purchase for $679 USD (ERP) in the US at Microsoft retail stores, www.MicrosoftStore.com and at BestBuy.com and all Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile stores, and also available through US commercial resellers beginning tomorrow, March 18.
In launching this new version of Surface 2, we’re adding the power and reach of AT&T’s 4G LTE network to an already fantastic device. Along with cellular connectivity, all of the refinements that went into Surface 2 are here: the increased speed and battery life, the dual-position kickstand, Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 RT and Outlook 2013 RT, the full HD screen, the upgraded front- and rear-facing cameras and full-size USB 3.0 port, just to name a few.
In addition, when you purchase Surface 2 (AT&T 4G LTE) you’ll receive 200 GB of free OneDrive (formerly known as SkyDrive) storage for two years. Mobile professionals, as well as anyone who wants access to their digital life and work while in motion, are going to love it.
Every day, more and more people are using Surface. As the device becomes a part of people’s everyday lives, I get excited about the possibilities that start to open up with a fully connected device. Here are some cool scenarios to think about for those of you who are constantly in motion. These are all things I’ve done as I have used with my personal Surface 2 (AT&T 4G LTE) in while testing it on a daily basis…
- Check and send email from a taxi with Outlook, or from the lobby of a hotel you’re not staying in before a meeting.
- Connect to company resources from virtually anywhere using Remote Desktop.
- Take photos of event venues, mark them up with Sketchbook Express and e-mail them to those planning the event.
- Call home with Skype from a play, recital or game, and use the rear-facing camera to share the action with those who couldn’t make it. You can even set it down and use the kickstand as a tri-pod to show live action.
- Install a new app like Nemo’s Reef for the kids mid-road trip. This actually happened to me in my last drive to California to see my parents… saved me a ton of backseat fighting J
- Make an impulse buy the second I get the impulse using apps from BestBuy, Amazon, eBay, Zappos, and others.
- Download a new ebook with the Nook or Kindle app book before getting on a plane.
- Make travel plans and read reviews on TripAdvisor when travel plans change en route.
You can read more details about the Surface 2 (AT&T 4G LTE) here.
It promises to be an exciting year for Surface. More on that later!
Corporate Vice President – Microsoft Surface