“Photography is my escape from it all, my stress therapy; all work no play makes Jack a dull boy” says our Lumia Instagramer of the Week Shakti Kingh, a self-described restless workaholic whose irregular work hours allow him to explore his city, Rotterdam, at all hours of the night
Shakti says that his urge to explore and to be creative began in his teenage years, when he would express his creativity through graffiti with friends. Although getting caught may have put a damper on that particular form of creative expression, his artistic urges never went away—but these days he expresses himself with his Nokia Lumia 920. As Shakti puts it, “Mix the urge to explore and be creative with a restless mind and throw in a Nokia Lumia 920 with an awesome camera and you get my feed.” It’s a fantastic combination as his photos show. But before we feast our eyes on Shakti’s favourites let check out more of what he has to say about his life with Lumia.
Which Lumia do you have and what do you like most about it?
I have the Nokia Lumia 920 and what I love the most about my phone is one, its ruggedness and two, the dedicated camera button. The camera button allows me to focus and keep my camera steady while shooting. I don’t use a tripod or anything else, just my hand and my camera.
Ruggedness fact: during one of my adventures I slipped and dropped my phone in the water. It stayed submerged for about a minute because I couldn’t find it. After I got it out of the water my phone died, only to resurrect a week later. It works almost completely; but due to water damage I can’t call, listen to music or play videos. But hey, who needs all those fancy things when you have a camera like this? I seriously don’t even miss all those functions, because I really use my phone mainly for taking shots.
Where do you shoot most of your photos and what sort of photos do you like to take best?
I love to explore my city, Rotterdam, that’s where I take most of my photos. Can’t describe the feeling when I discover new places in my city, places people normally wouldn’t go to. I love getting up on rooftops and going underground, viewing my city in a whole new perspective. Don’t mind getting dirty if it means I can get some good shots!
I love to take 16×9 shots; a lot of people say they look like scenes from a movie. I got into 16×9 because I always hold my phone in landscape mode; I hold the phone with my right hand and my thumb on the camera button. I never frame my shots afterwards, because I think it’s a waste of a good shot!
What are your top tips for taking Instagram photos on your Lumia?
Use your phone to the fullest, push to get everything possible out of your phone! The Nokia Camera app has a lot of functions that you can change, similar to a DSLR! (By playing with the settings on my Lumia I learned how to shoot with my Canon. My instagram is still Mobile Only!) And never underestimate the low light capabilities of the Lumia. It surprises me every time.
Which five Lumia instagramers do you recommend everyone to follow?
What are the top ten favourite photos you’ve taken on your Lumia?
1. Shot at 5 o’clock in the morning while the sun comes up through the morning fog. No filter or anything. Just look at the amount of detail my Lumia captured. You can even see the lines in my hand.
2. Love the blur and the colors in this shot at sunset.
3. This shot was taken for Dutch Liberation Day, where we commemorate the end of the Second World War. Rotterdam was almost bombed flat during that war. And just look at how Rotterdam came back. Stronger Through Struggle.
4. My Lumia captures the most incredible colors. This man didn’t even know I was shooting him.
5. Shot on National Donut Day. I love Donuts. And I love rooftops. I had to.
6. Last Donut of the Night, love how much light my Lumia captures.
7. Hi, have you met @__kishan? My wingman in exploring everything. Most adventures are with him. Put us together and expect stupid things.
8. Think this shot is grainy? No, it’s the incredible amount of fog at midnight. That boy creeping on the right? That’s my creepy little brother @zwarteindiaan.
9. 808’s & Heartbreak. Music had a great influence on me and my shots. This shot shows how powerful monochrome shots can be.
10. Used to enter these tunnels to paint them, now I explore them. I was born in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle era, so I’m fine down here.
We hope that you’ve enjoyed Shakti’s creativity as much as we have–his art is a wonderful example of what happens when you put a Lumia 920 in the hands of a former graffiti artist. If the answer is yes make sure you follow him on Instagram. you’d like to be featured as Lumia Instagramer of the Week, make sure you follow us and hashtag your photos #Lumia. In the meantime, we’d love to hear which of Shakti’s photos is your favourite!