“Photography is my passion and my Lumia has played a big role in making me decide to pick up my camera again.”
I’m sure these words are something many of us can relate to, myself included. It’s doubtless one reason why the Lumia Instagram community has gone from strength to strength and why choosing our weekly Instagramer keeps on getting tougher. Happily, though it’s a labour of love and once you check out this week’s Lumia loving photographer you’ll see why.
Clifton Loosier lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and commutes to work by bike, which is where his inner city shots come from. Otherwise he and his wife and are nature addicts who camp, hike and explore every chance they get. “Nothing is more satisfying to me than capturing a breath-taking natural scene and going on an adventure to find such a place. Trying to live the most fun life possible and be as happy as can be with my best friend,” says Clifton. To see the consequences of such a fantastic philosophy check out his photos below, but first let’s hear more from the man who took them.
Which Lumia do you have and what do you like most about it?
I am using the Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon. There are many things I like about this phone. First of all the design is simple and beautiful. The display is awesome and people are always commenting about how nice it looks. The Windows Phone UI is another reason I like this phone. For me, it’s very photo oriented. I unlock my phone and get to see so many photos right off the bat.
My people tile has pictures of all of my friends and family, my photos tile has all of my favorite pictures that I have taken, and my Instagram tile has all of the latest pictures from the people I follow. I simply love it. The camera is another large reason why I decided to go with this phone. The low light capabilities are fantastic. Coupled with the ability to manually control the settings, It’s all I could ask for in a smart phone camera.
Where do you shoot most of your photos and what sort of photos do you like to take best?
I live in the city of Pittsburgh. Most of my photos are from in or around the city (mostly around). I think it’s pretty easy to tell what kind of photos I like to take just by glancing at my Instagram feed. I’m clearly a nature addict. Landscapes, waterfalls, portraits, and basically anything outdoors. There are so many wonderful state parks and wilderness areas around the city that it makes it easy to find somewhere that is fun to take photos. The city is not too shabby itself. With its beautiful skyline and the convergence of the three rivers at its point, Pittsburgh is very photogenic.
What are your top tips for taking Instagram photos on your Lumia?
1. One that I am constantly forgetting is making sure my lens is clean. I am often retaking photos where the lighting seems a bit off because of a fingerprint or something on the lens. Once wiped clean, everything turns out perfectly.
2. I am a stickler for making sure my photos are straight. Something about seeing a horizon or any scene that is tilted just puts me off. Most pictures just look better when everything is nice and straight. If the camera app that you are using has an option for gridlines, utilize it and it will make things a whole lot easier.
3. Try and look at every angle possible when looking at a subject. You may find that the picture is even better viewed from a slightly different angle.
4. Find an editing app that fits your taste. I have tried so many and found a few that really work well. Fhotoroom, Onelens, and Fantasia Painter are my go to editors. These apps are fantastic for editing on your phone. I know there are purists who like to leave there photos “as is”, but I tell you that your initial capture may not be showing all of the detail and color that editing can bring out. Play around with it and you will be pleasantly surpised.
5. Have FUN! Pictures will come out better if you are!
Which Lumia instagramers do you recommend everyone to follow?
I have to admit that I don’t follow a lot of people that use Lumia’s. Either that or I am oblivious to what devices they are using. But I occasionally browse hashtags like #windowsphone #lumia #lumiaphotography and I think that these people could deserve some recognition.
@Robmulally – one of the first people that really impressed me wielding a lumia.
We’re totally loved up with the way Clifton’s photos give us a unique insight into both his city and the nature surrounding it. If you’re as impressed as us, make sure you follow him on Instagram. And if you’re a Lumia instagramer, and you’d like to see your work showcased here, you can either follow us on Instagram or share your best pics with #Lumia, or both. In the meantime, let us know which of Clifton’s photos most inspired you in the comments below.