How to send Skype video messages on Lumia
Want to send birthday greetings to a far-flung friend or share a snippet of your travels? It’s easy when you can record and share a video message (up to three minutes!) on Skype.
The Skype app for Windows Phone 8.1 has undergone a number of improvements over the past year. One of the features we especially like is the ability to record and send video messages with just a touch of a button on your Lumia.
Why would you want to send a video message? So many reasons! Besides the two above, here are a few examples of moments you can share:
- The creation of a three-story sandcastle you made on your beach vacation
- Your friend’s solo musical turn in his community orchestra concert
- Happy anniversary messages to your parents on their 30th anniversary
- The first few steps your toddler takes on his own
Primer: Video-messaging on Skype
Creating and sending a video message on Skype takes just four steps on your Lumia:
1. Open the Skype app and find the person you want to send a video message to by tapping the “chat” icon.
2. Tap the + button next to the text box. You’ll see this image:
3. Tap “video message” and a video-recording screen will pop up. Hit the red dot to record. Remember, you’ve got up to three minutes to make your mini masterpiece. Tap the red dot again to stop recording. If you want to re-do your message, tap the “x” button.
4. Once you’re satisfied with your video message, hit the paper airplane icon to send it.
5. Skype also put together a quick, handy video on how to send a video message:
Now just sit back and wait for the accolades and messages to roll in!
What do you think of this feature? If you’ve already recorded video messages on Skype via Lumia, what moments did you record and with whom did you share them?