Microsoft Edge: Looking back at an unforgettable 2023
As 2023 comes to a close, we wanted to take a moment and reflect on what a remarkable period it has been. We’ve had a year of innovation, creativity, growth, and ushering in the era of AI – all with the goal of helping you achieve more than you ever imagined. Now, we’re thrilled to share the incredible momentum and progress we’ve achieved, together, during the last year.
Here is a recap of our year at Edge, and how you contributed to making 2023 the most memorable year yet!
- This year, Edge and Bing users engaged in more than 1.9 billion Copilot chats. That’s equal to the total number of websites that existed on the internet last year!
- And users created over 1.8 billion AI-generated images, which is 1800x more than the entire combined collection of the Louvre and Metropolitan Museum!
- We didn’t lose sight of keeping you safe online. Edge stopped over 127 million phishing attacks. That’s the equivalent of four phishing attacks stopped every second for an entire year.
- And as the best browser for shopping, we also saved users money… a lot of money. Edge users in the US found a yearly average savings of $400, and worldwide shoppers were offered a total of more than $4 billion in savings on Edge.
- We can’t forget about gaming. Users played almost 9000 years of casual free games. That’s over 4.7 billion minutes played on Microsoft Edge since the feature was launched.
- In fact, more people played the Edge surf game, daily, than the entire population of Huntington Beach, California, the original “Surf City”.
- And finally, gamers earned a whopping 148 million rewards points on Edge – that’s enough to pay for 1000 years of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate!
We believe that 2023 will be remembered as the moment we began to harness the power of AI in our daily lives, unlocking new ways to achieve more than we thought possible. And that this era will be as important as PC was in the 80s, web in the 90s, mobile in the 2000s, and cloud in the 2010s.
This year, we combined years of AI research with customer feedback to deliver breakthrough innovation, delivering truly magical experiences and reimagining browsing as we know it. In 2023, Microsoft Edge became your AI-powered browser.
As we look ahead, we are more enthusiastic than ever about the innovation we’ll continue to deliver, allowing you to find, create and do beyond what you imagined. Thank you, and cheers to an unforgettable year. Stay tuned for what’s next from Microsoft Edge, your smart browser.
Remember, if you’re running a Windows PC, you already have Microsoft Edge installed, so check it out and see why Microsoft Edge is the smarter way to browse. For those who want to try Microsoft Edge and are on a macOS, mobile or Linux device, download it and let us know what you think!