Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20277
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20277 (FE_RELEASE) to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel.
Starting today, we are giving Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel the option to receive builds from the RS_PRERELEASE branch. These builds will be offered as an optional update through the “seeker” experience in Windows Update. This means Insiders will have to go and choose to install the currently offered RS_PRERELEASE build. Today, Insiders can choose to install Build 21277. Once they do, they will continue to receive RS_PRERELEASE builds going forward.
Insiders who choose to stay put will continue to automatically get builds from the FE_RELEASE until we move all Insiders in the Dev Channel to receiving RS_PRERELEASE builds sometime after the holidays. We still need Insiders running FE_RELEASE builds and giving us feedback on these builds so its ok if you choose to stay on these builds.
Be sure to check the list of known issues below. The list of fixes and known issues between FE_RELEASE builds and RS_PRERELEASE builds will NOT be the same.
As a reminder, Dev Channel builds are not matched to a specific Windows 10 release.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Once an Insider chooses to install a RS_PRERELEASE build, they cannot move back to receiving FE_RELEASE builds as their device will be on a higher build number. Insiders will still have the option to roll back to a previous version for up to 10 days or until you take another build.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the WinRE volume label being lost after multiple upgrades.
- We fixed an issue that could result in apps failing to update with error code 0x80073D02.
- We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- Live previews for pinned sites aren’t enabled for all Insiders yet, so you may see a grey window when hovering over the thumbnail in the taskbar. We’re continuing to work on polishing this experience.
- We’re working on enabling the new taskbar experience for existing pinned sites. In the meantime, you can unpin the site from the taskbar, remove it from the edge://apps page, and then re-pin the site.
- We’re working on a fix for an issue resulting in some users seeing error 0x80070426 when using their Microsoft account to sign into various apps. If you encounter it, rebooting your PC may resolve this.
- We’re working on a fix for an issue where, in recent Dev Channel builds, no drives appear under Settings > System > Storage > Manage Disks and Volumes. As a workaround, you can manage your disks in the classic Disk Management tool.
Updates for developers
The Windows SDK is now flighting continuously with the Dev Channel. Whenever a new OS build is flighted to the Dev Channel, the corresponding SDK will also be flighted. You can always install the latest Insider SDK from aka.ms/InsiderSDK. SDK flights will be archived in Flight Hub along with OS flights.
Important Insider Links
You can check out our Windows Insider Program documentation here, including a list of all the new features and updates released in builds so far. Are you not seeing any of the features list for this build? Check your Windows Insider Settings to make sure you’re in the Dev Channel. Submit feedback here to let us know if things weren’t working the way you expected.
If you want a complete look at what build is in which Insider ring, head over to Flight Hub. Please note, there will be a slight delay between when a build is flighted and when Flight Hub is updated.