Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20270
Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20270 (FE_RELEASE) to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel.
Other updates for Insiders
File Skill in Cortana
Windows Insiders can now use Cortana on their PCs to find and open files. They’ll save time by not having to navigate to apps or folders to locate the information they’re looking for.
Enterprise users who sign into Cortana with their corporate credentials (e.g., AAD) can search for files saved on OneDrive For Business and SharePoint along with files saved locally on their PCs (this setting is at Settings > Search > Searching Windows). Users using a Microsoft account (e.g., ending with Outlook.com or Hotmail.com) can use Cortana to find files saved on their PCs. This feature is currently available to our English-speaking users in U.S.
Try and use Cortana to open or search files by:
- Parts of file names (Example: “Hey Cortana, opening marketing deck.”)
- Author names (Example: “Hey Cortana, open budget Excel from Anthony”)
- Find a document you have been editing (Example: “Hey Cortana, find my recent files”)
- Find a document of a particular type (Example: “Hey Cortana, find my recent pdfs”)
Changes and Improvements
- The new “Advanced View” checkbox in Optimize Drives is now up and running and checking it will display volumes previously not visible in this window (for example system and recovery partitions).
- Using the touch keyboard in a portrait posture on a 2-in-1 touch device now supports split keyboard mode. (This was released to Windows Insiders in the Beta Channel as part of the recent Windows Feature Experience Pack update.)
- We fixed an issue resulting in some dialogs, such as Properties, displaying black text on dark backgrounds in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue that could result in certain apps unexpectedly closing when clicking the Maximize button in recent builds.
- We fixed an issue resulting in printers with Japanese characters in their names not displaying correctly in Printers & Scanners Settings.
- We fixed an issue that could result in some delay logging into your PC on devices with a large number of users.
- We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- Live previews for pinned sites aren’t enabled for all Insiders yet, so you may see a grey window when hovering over the thumbnail in the taskbar. We’re continuing to work on polishing this experience.
- We’re working on enabling the new taskbar experience for existing pinned sites. In the meantime, you can unpin the site from the taskbar, remove it from the edge://apps page, and then re-pin the site.
- We’re working on a fix for an issue resulting in some users seeing error 0x80070426 when using their Microsoft account to sign into various apps. If you encounter it, rebooting your PC may resolve this.
- We’re working on a fix for an issue where, in recent Dev Channel builds, no drives appear under Settings > System > Storage > Manage Disks and Volumes. As a workaround, you can manage your disks in the classic Disk Management tool.
Listen to episode 38 of the podcast now
Listen to our latest episode of the Windows Insider Podcast and join us in looking at Windows currency with Windows PM Laura Finch, who gives us an end-to-end overview of the importance of staying current with Insider Preview builds.
Listen via your favorite podcast app or on our website.
Updates for developers
The Windows SDK is now flighting continuously with the Dev Channel. Whenever a new OS build is flighted to the Dev Channel, the corresponding SDK will also be flighted. You can always install the latest Insider SDK from aka.ms/InsiderSDK. SDK flights will be archived in Flight Hub along with OS flights.
Important Insider Links
You can check out our Windows Insider Program documentation here, including a list of all the new features and updates released in builds so far. Not seeing any of the features in this build? Check your Windows Insider Settings to make sure you’re in the Dev Channel. Submit feedback here to let us know if things weren’t working the way you expected.
If you want a complete look at what build is in which Insider ring, head over to Flight Hub. Please note, there will be a slight delay between when a build is flighted and when Flight Hub is updated.
UPDATED 12/8: Adjusted the messaging for the new File skill in Cortana to be clearer.