At a press event in New York City today, Acer has announced several new Windows 8 PCs.
The Aspire R7 is a new 15.6-inch notebook that is designed to take advantage of the new computing lifestyle, which increasingly combines touching and typing. The Aspire R7 has some impressive specs:
- A full HD 1920 x 1080 touchscreen display.
- An Intel Core i5 processor.
- 6GB of memory.
- A 500GB hard drive and 24GB SSD.
- A full-size backlit keyboard.
- Includes an HDMI port, SD card reader, 3 USB ports, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Also comes with a converter port supporting VGA, RJ45 and USB.
But this new PC has something unique – what Acer calls an “Ezel Hinge”.
What this does is enables this PC to do is move it’s HD display forward and into 4 different modes: “Ezel Mode”, “Notebook Mode”, “Display Mode”, and “Pad Mode”. With “Ezel Mode”, the display can float over the keyboard at various angles for example. With these 4 modes, the Aspire R7 can be used as a traditional laptop or like a tablet sitting on a table. The idea is that this hinge can make the combination of touching the screen and using the keyboard more intuitive and natural. The dual hinge technology allows for single-hand switching between the 4 modes and keeps the display rock-steady when touched. It also has an ergonomic design allows people to determine their own preferred way to interact with the PC.
With a repositioned keyboard and a revolutionary “Ezel Hinge” that moves the display forward and into different positions, the R7 makes the combination of touching the screen and using the keyboard more intuitive and natural. Its ergonomic design allows users to explore and determine their own preferred way to interact with technology.
The Aspire R7 will be available on May 17th for the suggested retail price of $999.99 (U.S.). Consumers who place pre-orders with Best Buy between May 3rd and May 16th, 2013 will also receive a free download of Star Trek: The Video Game for PC as part of Acer’s marketing partnership campaign with Paramount for the upcoming film, “Star Trek Into Darkness,” opening on May 17, 2013.
Aspire P3 Ultrabook
The Acer Aspire P3 is an Ultrabook that comes with all the Ultrabook benefits but can easily transform into a “tablet” mode.
The Aspire P3 only weighs 3.06 pounds and measures 0.77-inches thin. And Acer has packed in quite a bit in this highly portable form factor for excellent performance with long battery life:
- An 11.6-inch HD display with touch and IPS technology (wide 170-degree viewing angles).
- Available with Intel Core i3 and Core i5 processors.
- Up to 6 hours of battery life.
- Either a 60GB or 120GB SSD.
- Dolby Home Theater boosts sound for headphones as well as built-in speakers.
- USB 3.0 port and HDMI port.
- A built-in Acer Crystal Eye HD webcam in the front that can capture 720p HD, and a 5MP back camera.
- A full-sized chiclet keyboard.
- An optional stylus that fits in the case for customers who want the convenience of pen-based input.
The Acer Aspire P3 is available immediately starting at a suggested retail price of $799.99 (U.S.).
Acer Aspire V5 and V7 Series
The new V Series represents Acer’s biggest line of mainstream Windows 8 laptops with numerous models with a variety of options. The new V Series PCs are up to 9 percent slimmer than the previous generation and come with full HD displays, more powerful graphics and SSDs for even better performance.
All V5 series models are available with a choice of touch or non-touch screen. They also include a full size keyboard with an 8 percent larger key cap area than previous generation V5 laptops. All V5 models with touch screen configurations will also include backlit keyboards.
New V5 Series laptops with 15.6-inch or 14-inch displays:
- Available in either high definition (1366×768) or full high-definition (1920×1080) with IPS technology.
- Includes 4 speakers and are supported by Dolby Home Theatre.
- Available with the next generation AMD dual core or quad core processors, or the latest Intel processors.
- Select configurations are equipped with NVIDIA GeForce GT7XXM series or AMD Radeon HD8750 discrete graphics.
New V5 Series laptops with 11.6 displays:
- Includes a high-definition (1366 x 768) display.
- Just 3 pounds and less than an inch thick.
- Models are available with the next generation AMD dual core or quad core or the latest Intel processors.
- Also includes a full size keyboard (backlit keyboards will also be available in some regions).
All V5 Series laptops include an Acer Converter Port, making it easy to connect to an external display, hard drive, router, etc. Some models include a converter cable, which supports VGA, USB and RJ45 connections.
New V7 Series Ultrabooks:
- The new V7 Series Ultrabooks offer the same stylish and thin design found on the V5 models, but adds a “silky touch” finish on the bottom.
- All V7 models include a variety of the latest Intel processors, SSDs, Acer Theft Shield, the new Acer Converter Port and WiDi – Intel’s Wireless Display technology.
The Aspire V Series will be available at the end of May starting at the suggested retail price of $499 (U.S.).
Updated November 7, 2014 7:43 pm