Hello my Windows Insiders!
I spent a few days this week at our Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto this week and one of the most exciting things for me was how much people are talking about the Windows Insider Program. We got multiple shout-outs during the keynotes (by Satya on Monday, by Bryan Roper and his Bridgestone Tire on Tuesday) as well as a segment on Windows Weekly and the whole SurfaceSmiths podcast. The photo below is of the local Windows Insiders dinner where we got to know an incredibly diverse group of Insiders who are leading in the Toronto area. We can’t wait to do more of these types of things globally. It’s pretty cool to see people who have been a part of the Windows ecosystem for a long time be genuinely excited and curious about how the Insiders are going to transform the world next. I love being on this journey with you. Thank you!
And now, the build news: today we are releasing Build 14390 for both PC and Mobile to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.
The Microsoft Edge Team has a new extension to tell you about that many of you have been waiting for:
- Amazon Assistant: Amazon’s official browser extension is now available for Microsoft Edge! Amazon Assistant helps you make better decisions wherever you shop online by giving you access to Deal of the Day, Product Comparison, Wish List and Shortcuts to your favorite Amazon destinations. Check out all of the available extensions by launching Microsoft Edge, opening the “…”menu, selecting “Extensions” and then clicking “Get extensions from the Store”.”
Improvements and fixes for PC
- You should no longer see the error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings page if your PC is using a non-EN-US language.
Known issues for PC
- AWARENESS: A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.
Known issues for Mobile
- Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. We heard your feedback and plan to release a Voice Recorder app update via the Store soon that has the fix for this issue.
- Wallet users are prompted for a PIN twice when using tap to pay from a locked phone. You can enter their PIN twice and tap as usual once the phone is unlocked. A fix for this will come as a Wallet app update via the Store.
- REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won’t restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup so it doesn’t overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds.
Team, we’re getting down to the wire for the Anniversary Update release. Please install this build and try things differently than usual this weekend. We still have our quests published in Feedback Hub. We’re going to be doing these this weekend, so if you do as well, please send us feedback on them. I’m going to be creating images on Sketchpad for an IoT project I want to do with you guys next month. I’ll tweet pics as I go.
We are so grateful to be sprinting the finish line with you by our side. Thank you!!!
Updated July 15, 2016 11:45 am