App and avatar item gifting is here
Today, we are excited to announce that in addition to digital games, Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass subscriptions, we have expanded digital gifting to include apps and avatar items sold in the Microsoft Store.
Here’s how to start sending digital gifts in the Microsoft Store in three easy steps:
- Head over to the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 PC, Xbox console or online.
- Navigate to the product that you would like to purchase as a gift.
- Select “Buy as gift” and enter the email address of the gift recipient. (On Xbox One, you can choose a Gamertag from your list of Xbox Live friends.)
The gift recipient will receive a code for their product along with instructions on how to redeem the code. (On Xbox One, gift recipients will receive a system message with a clickable redemption button.)
There are a few things to keep in mind as you’re gifting apps, games and other content:
- There are limits to the number of discounted products you can buy. Gift purchasers can only buy two (2) of the same discounted product – and a total of ten (10) discounted products – every 14 days. There are no limits for gift purchases made at full price.
- Gifting of Xbox 360 and Xbox original games, Xbox original avatar items, pre-orders, free products and consumable downloadable game content such as virtual currency is not allowed.
- Gift recipients can only redeem gift tokens in the country or region where they were purchased.
- The gifts are sent to recipients as soon as they are purchased. Currently, you can’t time the delivery of the gift for a specific date and time.
Most apps and avatar items are available for gifting today, Oct. 19, and all apps and avatar items should be available for gifting by Tuesday, Oct. 23.
Digital gifting has been one of the top asks from our fans, and we are pleased that we’ve made it even better! Please continue to give us feedback on features you would like to see on Microsoft Store, using the Windows Feedback Hub app or the Xbox Ideas site.