Updated November 7, 2014 11:51 pm - WINDOWS PHONE NEXT APP STAR UPDATE:
Congratulations to our 21 confirmed Windows Phone Next App Star Sweepstakes winners:
Tom R. (Bloomlington, USA), Michael L. (Navestved, Denmark), Sergey B. (Burlington, Canada), Vanessa B. (Levis Canada), Rohit S. (Nashik, India), Kelsey S. (Blacksburg, USA), Joc G. (Winnipeg, Canada), Tri W. (Bogor, Indonesia), Zarul I. (Kluang, Malaysia), Erin W. (Surrey, Canada), Marcel P. (Munich, Germany), Indish C. (Warangal, India), Marek C. (Siennica Nadolna, Poland), Marcelo S. (Rome, Italy), Tolga A. (Ankara, Turkey), Calum B. (Billingham, UK), Jeremy K. (Arlington, USA), Todd H. (Mustang, USA), Shane A. (London, UK), Emanuel V. (Succivo, Italy), and Deb C. (Alvarado, USA).
Our focus this year is on raising awareness for the amazing apps you develop for Windows Phone. We’ll accomplish through new programs, app promotions, and increased opportunities for app discoverability in the Windows Phone Store on the phone and on the web. So far we’ve launched:
- Daily promotion of new and trending apps – follow us: Windows Phone blog, Facebook, and Twitter
- New weekly app deal program – Red Stripe Deals – to drive engagement and downloads of a select group of apps and games each week at 50%+ off the original price
- Continued improvements to our search algorithms, merchandising, and web Store, where many potential customers who are considering buying a Windows Phone come to see if an app is available before they purchase. We’ve recently added an overview pageto the web Store we’ll use to deliver key app messages, for example
- And, let’s not forget the Windows Phone Next App Star contest, designed to bring attention to 64 finalists and give consumers an opportunity to vote for their favorites, and for one lucky developer to have the opportunity to see their app featured in a prime-time television commercial in the US*
Today I’m pleased to announce the winner of the Windows Phone Next App Star competition. We started this journey with 9,137 entries from 79 markets. With so many competitors it took both strong user review scores during the ratings period and very formidable app quality to be selected. At the end of the judging, 64 finalists emerged, with apps from developers across the globe – Australia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Italy, Poland, Russia, Spain, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and the United States. As we narrowed the field through rounds of voting, our developer finalists earned prizes (Nokia Lumia 920 phones, wireless chargers, Microsoft Signature Sony Ultrabooks, an appearance in a special episode of Hot Apps, and trips to //build, among other prizes) and gained exposure for their apps with over 615,000 contest votes. Meanwhile, voters participated in a sweepstakes** to win a Nokia Lumia 920 – a new phone was awarded every day of voting.
The championship round between ProShot by Eddie Kezeli and Wikipedia by Rudy Huyn was highly competitive. To give you insight into these two apps: ProShot is a feature-packed lens app with such an intuitive UI it can be enjoyed by the professional photographer and the weekend warrior alike. Wikipedia takes rich web content and brings it to life with Windows Phone design elements and features like NFC, speech, and Live Tiles.
|In the end there can be just one grand prize winner and it is my pleasure to announce that the Windows Phone Next App Star is Wikipedia by Rudy Huyn, of Rennes, France. Take a look at this short video and visit us on Facebook to learn more about the Wikipedia app.|
As the grand prize winner, Wikipedia will have the opportunity to be featured in a Windows Phone prime-time television commercial in the US. Congratulations Rudy!
Today we’re focused on celebrating Rudy and the achievements of all our Next App Star finalists. In the coming weeks you can expect posts with learnings from the competition that you can apply to your situation – from app creation to marketing tips. And you’re all stars in our book.
Windows Phone Next App Star Finalists
* See official developer rules for details.
** See official sweepstakes rules for details.