Today I’m happy to announce the first release of a developer ready, non-expiring (licensed) virtual machines. Last year, we released the evaluation VMs and we took the feedback to heart that you wanted a fully configured Windows 10 development environment that won’t expire.
With these new VMs, all you need to do is insert your Windows 10 Pro license key and instantly can start developing without having to worry about installing all the tooling. The VMs come in Hyper-V, Parallels, VirtualBox, and VMWare flavors.
These installs contain:
- Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607
- Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 3 (Build 14.0.25425.01)
- Windows developer SDK and tools (Build 14393)
- Microsoft Azure SDK for .NET (Build 2.9.5)
- Windows Bridge for iOS (Build 0.2.160914)
- Windows UWP samples (September 2016)
- Windows Bridge for iOS samples
- Bash for Windows
If you don’t currently have a Windows 10 Pro license, you can get one from the Microsoft Store. If you just want to try out Windows 10 and UWP, use the free evaluation version of the VMs. The evaluation copies will expire after a pre-determined amount of time.
The Azure portal also has virtual machines you can spin up with the Windows Developer tooling installed as well!
If you have feedback on the VMs, please provide it over at the Windows Developer Feedback UserVoice site.