Winter is officially over, Spring is just around the corner, and here at the Nokia Connects headquarters I have been hoarding all of the juiciest and most interesting titbits that happened in February. And in the spirit of Spring cleaning, I will share them all with you!
via David_Howell on his amazing Nokia N95
1. February has been a busy month for Nokia, starting off with being the global headline sponsor of Social Media Week 2012. Nokia is all about connecting people in the digital age, and so this was the perfect event to get involved with and to find out what gets people talking around the world. The week-long programme of events in London, New York, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Singapore and many other cities across the globe was a fascinating and fun-packed social media extravaganza. Something I think this video sums up perfectly:
2. Straight off the back of SMW12 was Mobile World Congress 2012, the year’s biggest mobile tech event held in the Mobile World Capital Barcelona. This year’s event was bigger than ever with Nokia announcing 5 new products, including the amazing Nokia 808 PureView (more on that baby later). In case you missed the excitement of MWC12, check out our Top 10 Things that Happened at MWC.
3. Mobile photography will never be the same again following the launch of the Nokia 808 PureView with its incredible 41 megapixel camera – yes, that’s right, 41 megapixels! This revolutionary new cameraphone has been the hottest topic at Mobile World Congress this week, and went on to win the title of Best New Mobile Handset at the GSM Global Mobile Awards.
4. With the help of our loyal Nokia fan base, we were able to publish what is possibly the world’s longest Facebook status – a total of 63,157 characters featuring close to 20 passionate bloggers. Now that’s what I call a big update!
5. Moving on from a marathon Facebook status to… er… an actual marathon, Finnish sportsman Jukka Viljanen recently completed the world’s fastest solo run across the Sahara desert. And he did it all with the help of the Sports Tracker app on his trusted Nokia E5. With his phone safely in his pocket (I presume he had a pocket, even in the desert), he completed a total of 2,000km (1,250 miles) in 35 days. Phew!
via Sahara Challenge
6. As part of Social Media Week, Nokia helped put a smile on the faces of people in London, New York, Hong Kong and Singapore by sending them personalised gifts and free Nokia goodies. Not to mention the legendary Nokia Connects Cab offering free rides to those in London and New York.
7. Another highlight of Social Media Week (yes, another SMW one, it was a busy week!) was the Can Man Live on Social Media Alone social experiment. Two intrepid travellers were given Nokia Lumia 800 phones and sent off to foreign cities to live for a week with nothing except their initiative and the kindness of people on social media to keep them afloat!
8. With the launch of the Asha 202, 203 and 302 and the re-vamped Nokia Life, Nokia is well on the way to achieving its goal of Connecting the Next Billion – making mobile internet and intelligent technology available to more people around the world.
9. Not quite as glitzy as the Oscars, the Film Independent Spirit Awards are nevertheless arguably one of the most important film award ceremonies in the calendar, and this year marked Nokia’s inaugural partnership with the ceremony. The event itself happened on 25th February in a marquee on Santa Monica beach (I know, cool right?) and showcased some of the best independent films from around the world. One of which was the incredible ‘Where Soldiers Come From’, directed and produced by the talented Heather Courtney who walked away with the Nokia Truer than Fiction Award. Here’s a trailer for her award-winning documentary to pique your interest:
10. No February round-up would be complete without saying “Zdravstvui Maslenitsa!” to Spring in true Russian spirit. What am I on about? The Russian Spring Festival of Maslenitsa, of course! This week-long festival of eating, singing and general merrymaking was the perfect way to banish the winter blues!
Have you celebrated the arrival of Spring? Done anything cool in February you want to tell us about? Let us know @Nokia_Connects