The Windows Phone Store offers you tons of exciting games and apps to keep you entertained. Did you know that you can remotely download them from your PC or laptop to your Lumia?
What do you do if you stumble on an interesting Windows Phone app on your PC but your Lumia is connected to a wall charger in another room? How can you help your non-tech savvy grandparents or employees download the latest apps or instant messaging platforms on their phones?
Give the push-notifications feature a try.
Before we begin, ensure that you are logged into the Windows Phone Store with your Windows Live ID (Microsoft, Outlook, Live or Hotmail login ID). If you haven’t created a Windows Live ID, you can use your existing e-mail address and register it by visiting the sign-up page here.
Once that’s done, follow these steps to remotely install games and apps:
- Tap Start, then select Settings and choose Find My Phone.
- Check the box with the option Send apps to my phone using push notifications (not SMS)
- Open the Windows Phone Store on your PC’s web browser and hover over to the upper right corner where you will see your Lumia smartphone’s details.
- Once your smartphone is detected, continue browsing and exploring games and apps on the Windows Phone Store and click install.
- Once you tap install, the selected app or game will be sent over the air or pushed remotely to your smartphone and will download.
In case the connection breaks or your mobile goes out of range, an e-mail with a download link will be sent to your registered e-mail ID to complete the process.
As a reminder, the Find my Phone feature also helps you locate and lock your lost Windows Phone. Read our story on #Lumiatips Vine: Find My Phone and check out the six-second video.
What do you think of installing apps remotely on your Lumia? Share your thoughts in the comments below.