Microsoft Band introduces hiking experience with the new Explore Tile
In the coming days, just in time for summer, new updates are beginning to roll out for Microsoft Band and Health users. These updates include a new hiking experience with the new Explore Tile and an update to the Microsoft Health app, making it available in the Windows Store for Windows 10 PCs and Tablets. And, there are a few other fun features we’re looking forward to telling you more about. But first, here’s a closer look at what makes the Explore Tile awesome!
Exploring the great outdoors with the Explore Tile
Download the app update to receive the Explore Tile, and try out the new experience for yourself. The Explore Tile uses built-in GPS to keep track of your route on your band’s display, and lets you drop points of interest along the way. It’s perfect for tracking hikes, or even just a walk around the neighborhood. Here are some of the new features to take advantage of on your next outdoor adventure:
- GPS Power Saver automatically allows your band to track your hike for up to 12 hours.
- After your hike, sync your band to your mobile app to see your points of elevation and a map of your route in the Microsoft Health app and web dashboard.
- Stay hydrated, properly fueled, and get help dodging any inclement weather with smart alerts. They’ll remind you to hydrate and refuel, tell you what time the sun sets, and alert you of any inclement weather advisories based on atmospheric pressure.
- The UV monitor you know and love is enabled while you hike. It will notify you when your UV exposure is high, so you can stay covered or apply SPF while you’re out in the sun.
- Exploring on your own? Leave your phone in your pocket and turn up the tunes – skip tracks and adjust the volume on your phone’s music apps from your band’s touchscreen.
- If you want to stop for a rest or take in the view, no problem. The Auto Pause feature will automatically detect that you’ve stopped, so you can focus on your adventure.
Get the Microsoft Health app on all of your Windows 10 devices
The Microsoft Health app, the companion app to the Microsoft Band, will begin rolling out in the Windows Store this week to download onto your Windows 10 PCs and Tablets. Sync your Microsoft Band manually to your PC or Surface through a USB cable and manage tiles, personalize your band, update firmware, and more. The Live Tile will display your current step count and calorie burn.
And, last, a bit of friendly competition. When you use your Microsoft Health app, look for two new profiles in your social leaderboards. One profile represents the average daily steps and cardio minutes for your group – the group being the people who share your age, gender, and BMI – while the other profile represents those people whose daily steps and cardio minutes rank in the top 25th percentile for your group. We hope to inspire you to increase your daily steps or cardio minutes with the two new profiles in your leaderboards.
Get out there and enjoy summer with our new experience and the Explore Tile. Download the Microsoft Health app for Windows 10 today. We hope you enjoy these latest improvements and features!