Check out the latest updates in the Windows 10 Mail and Calendar apps
Rachel Sirkin is a program manager for the Mail and Calendar apps and Vivek Kumar is a product marketing manager for the Mail and Calendar apps
We first introduced the new Mail and Calendar apps with the launch of Windows 10 in July and throughout the last 8 months we’ve made several updates to the apps. We’ve heard from many of you through the Windows Feedback app, Store reviews, and community forums what you love about the apps and areas where we can improve. Your input informs the work we do every day, so please keep it coming.
Our team’s goals are to create apps that you find personal and familiar, that are fast and easy to use, and unleash the full power of the Windows 10 platform for you. We’d like to take a moment to highlight some of the greatest updates so far, encourage you to try them if you haven’t already and share your feedback.
We’ve heard from many of you that you love the ability to have all your email accounts in one place; you enjoy the look and feel of the apps, and appreciate the integration with other Windows features. Here are some of the ways we are making these apps even better for you:
- Personalization: We have added a number of personalization features that let you make the apps your own. You can now customize the background, accent color, theme and calendar colors. We love seeing some of the screenshots you have shared with us and wanted to share our own with you as well.
- Linked Inboxes for multiple accounts: We’ve heard you love connecting multiple email accounts in the Mail app, and also wanted these in one view. In December, we released Linked Inboxes. Now you can select which of your accounts are linked and see all your emails from those accounts in one place without having to switch between them.
- Deeper integration with live tiles, notifications and Cortana*: We’ve heard how you enjoy the integration of features like live tiles and notifications, and we’ve taken extra steps to make sure the apps work well with Cortana. Here are a few quick tips and tricks to try. Add events to your calendars using Cortana with your voice. Reminders you set using Cortana show up in the Calendar app. You can also start typing emails from Cortana and complete your prose in the Mail app if you want. We will continue adding more of these features so that your Mail and Calendar experiences leverage the full power of Windows 10 and Cortana, your digital personal assistant.
- Continued commitment to stability, sync reliability and accessibility. With each of the app updates we’ve released, quality of the experience in stability, sync reliability across your Windows devices, and accessibility are priorities for our team. Recent accessibility improvements to Mail app include a more predictable keyboard behavior, familiar navigation, and reliable reading for Exchange accounts with screen readers.
This is only a small slice of the continued work we are doing in the apps.
In the latest Windows Insider build released last month, we introduced several new features and improvements. We will continue to work on these enhancements, gather feedback and share with everyone in future updates:
- Drag and drop attachments into your email messages
- Print week view in Calendar (more views are coming soon)
- Turn off message preview text in the message list
- Get rid of junk email with right-click ‘Move to Junk’
- Let others know “I’ll be late” directly from meeting notifications
Finally, each time we released an update, we shared in your enthusiasm for uncovering what’s new, and we love it. In order to make it easier for you to see the latest, we made the following additions:
- Spotlight: We added a new in-app feature called Spotlight, that gives you the highlights in major updates. Here we will showcase our top new features that we hope you’ll check out.
- What’s New: For those of you who like more detail, check out the What’s New page under Settings with the app. Here we’ll note the latest features and improvements released early to Windows Insiders as well as those that have been released to everyone.
Our journey to create Mail and Calendar apps that you love has just started. We are passionate about bringing you an email and calendar experience that is fast, beautiful and productive. We invite you to give the latest updates to the Mail and Calendar apps a try and let us know what you think by voting through the in-app Feedback button or the Windows Feedback app.
*Cortana available in select markets.