How to pair your Surface Pen with your Surface
Here’s an easy two-step guide on how to connect your Surface Pen with your Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, or Surface Book.
Perhaps you just bought a new Surface tablet and skipped through the set-up instructions for the Surface Pen. Or maybe you upgraded to the new Surface Pen for your Surface Pro 3 and need help pairing it.
Whatever the situation, here’s how to pair a Surface Pen to your Surface device.
Step 1: Update your Surface
To make sure you have the latest drivers and updates, go to Start, select Settings, and then go into the Update & Security section. You’ll see which updates are available under Windows Update.
Install the updates and restart your Surface if necessary.
Step 1.5 [if you have the original Surface Pen]: Install the battery
- Unscrew the top of the pen (the part with the purple button).
- Insert an AAAA battery with the positive end of the battery pointing toward the writing tip.
- Screw the top back on.
An AAAA battery is pre-installed in the new Surface Pen for Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book. If it needs to be replaced, follow the steps above.
Step 2: Pair your Surface Pen
Please note that you can pair the new Surface Pen with Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book as well as with Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3.
- Go to Start, and select Settings > Devices > Bluetooth.
- Turn Bluetooth on. If Surface Pen appears in the list of discovered devices, it may not be properly paired yet. So, select it from the list and remove the device.
- Surface will then re-discover the Surface Pen when you hold down the top button of the Surface Pen for about seven seconds–until the light in the middle of the pen clip starts to flash (on the original Surface Pen) or the light on the flat side of the pen glows white (on the new Surface Pen).
- When the pen now appears in the list of Bluetooth devices, select it and then choose “Pair.”
That’s it! Your Surface Pen is now paired.
If the pen shows as “Not connected” in your Bluetooth list, double-check that all the latest updates are installed on your Surface.
How does your Surface Pen help you #DoGreatThings? Share with us on Twitter via @Surface.